Friday, September 12, 2014

Number Line Math Stations

Years ago, I began experimenting with Guided Math and how that looks in the classroom.  My teammates and I found a system that worked pretty well for us and allowed us to see our students in smaller groups while also providing meaningful practice opportunities for students to independently practice.  This year, with class sizes rising, we needed to do something to break things down into smaller groups, otherwise we were going to be looking at about 8-10 kids in each of our groups!

I shared with my team the idea of doing math stations, which I used while I taught first grade last year, and which I structure very similarly to Guided Math.  We decided to launch a practice week of stations to establish routines and procedures, but are finally starting real math stations next week!  All of our stations are focused on Number Lines (and skip counting...since they go hand in hand).

Here's a peek at some of the stations we'll be doing this week!

Human Number Line
 Human Number Line - counting by 5s
Human Number Line - counting by 5s
This is my third product for TpT!  I created it for my teammates and I to use with an activity that we found and modified to work for stations.  The great thing about this activity is that you can also do it whole class if you aren't comfortable with trying math stations just yet!

Monster Number Line Squeeze

Number Line Squeeze is a recommended game from our Everyday Math textbooks, which is one of the resources my school district has to support our math curriculum.  I found this adorable version from Over the Moon Bow on Teacher's Notebook!  It certainly spices up our plain old Number Line Squeeze.

Number Line iSpy

I've been using this freebie from Amy Lemons at Step into Second Grade with Mrs. Lemons for years!  Some years I used it in Guided Math, some years as a seat work activity, and now as a math station activity!  I love the challenge that it provides the students to work with various counting patterns and missing numbers in different places!

Computer Station
I have our LMC assistant create a folder on the internet browser at school for my class and I email her links to the games I'd like to be included in that folder so my students can access them quickly.  Here are the games I'm recommending that my students play this week!

Battleship Numberline
Fruit Shoot Number Line Subtraction
Fruit Shoot Number Line Addition
Number Line Quiz

Fact Fluency Station
This station is the same from week to week.  Students practice their math facts to prepare for our math fact fluency program, Otter Creek.  Students practice writing their facts and then can use flashcards to practice with a partner or go on XtraMath to practice on the computer!

Students will also visit the Teacher Station, where they will practice number line concepts at the table with me.  I have leveled some of these lessons depending on the groups of students I will have at the table.  I have the gifted cluster in my classroom this year, so I've been pushing myself to find challenges for those kids as well as modified activities for my lower ones!  After leaving the teacher station, students will go to their seats for seat work station.  This gives them the opportunity to practice the new information independently right after learning it.

We'll also be experimenting with math journaling this week, so I'll be back soon to share how that goes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment